Thursday, September 10, 2009

Phone Interview!

I had my phone interview today, scheduled for 12:15! I just applied yesterday (completely on a whim!) and didn't really have time to prepare for it. I read up on the interview process a little bit online and hoped for the best.

The girl I talked to seemed pretty nice.

First, she verified some information on my application, and then verified the roles I was interested in. She asked me some questions about work experience, and what I like best about my job and worst, and best and worst experiences.

I told her the best thing I like about my job is it is "wholesome". I said my family owns it and it is a nice place to work, and rambled on about that a little more. I feel like I did a lot of rambling during it!

I told her the worst worst experiences are basically when a customer is unhappy and no matter what you try to do to make their experience better, they refuse to be receptive at all and just want to be negative about things even though you're trying to help. I hope this answer doesn't make me seem pessimistic and like I'm not good at working with people, ahhh.

Then she asked some questions that were specifically about the positions I was interested in.

Since BBB was my #1 choice, she asked about that first.

1-Asked what kind of experience I had doing hair/nails/makeup.
I feel like my answer to this might break my chances of getting into the CP completely if they are discriminatory at all. I said that I didn't have experience in the traditional sense (salon) but a big part of my training at school is doing hair and cosmetics for people to be viewed at their funerals. I said that I've done a lot of this from helping at school and at a funeral home in Worcester. I said that it is really important that their hair and makeup and nails all look really good, because people are going to be staring at it for hours and will complain if it doesn't look good! LOL so I may have freaked them out with my answer and completely turned them off from any chance at accepting me by saying I TOUCH DEAD PEOPLE. I hope they don't!

2-Asked what I would do if a little girl was hesitant about getting her Princess makeover and didn't want to go through with it.
First, let me say that when I was looking up information about interview questions for BBB, nobody had any info on them besides the first question, because it seems like they don't consider you at all if you don't have relative experience. So at least I got more than one question in it!!! For this one, I said that I would ask her about who her favorite princess is, and if we have that costume available offer it to her, and then tell her she will look sooo beautiful when her makeover is done, and if she gets to meet that princess that day, the princess will really love how she looks.

3-How do you feel about working in a busy/stressful environment?

I said that my current job at a diner is like that, and we are always busy with tons of customers so I'm used to it and would be able to pick up the pace at a new job really quickly due to the fact that I already know how to handle those situations!

The other questions I got asked were about hospitality and concierge, so they were a little more generic...
1-What would you do if a guest selected a certain room view but you were sold out of it?
I said I would offer them alternative room views and offer to call them and offer a room change during their stay at the first chance the room they wanted became available.

2-How would you make guests feel welcome?
I said I'd smile and welcome them, and offer to point them in the direction of where they need to be because they are at an unfamiliar place, or ask if there was anything I could help them do to make their stay better, and overall just let them know that the employees are there to help make their stay enjoyable!


There were some other questions too, but they were basically generic interview questions. Really, the only reason I can see myself getting rejected is because my major is really creepy. It might freak them out a little. I hope it doesn't, because I swear that funeral directors and kids who are in school to be funeral directors are NOT creepy at all! I thought I would show up at funeral school and be surrounded by a bunch of rejects who looked like Hot Topic threw up on them, but I was luckily completely wrong(besides like 2 kids who changed majors because it wasn't what they thought it would be...they don't let you start embalming from day one, lol)! There were a lot professional adults changing careers, and most of the kids were pretty normal 18 year olds, if anyone walked into that classroom they would have just assumed it was a normal business class!

So anyways...I hope I get in! And I hope I get to work at Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Stephanie's College Program Blog © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Design By: SkinCorner