Sunday, September 13, 2009

Waiting

Waiting is killing me, and it has only been three days since my interview! Aaah I don't know how I will last four to six weeks! At least from what I have been reading, most people have been hearing back in two or three weeks .Just gotta take it day by day!

I had a pretty good talk with my boyfriend last night about what we are going to do if I get accepted, because I am DEFINITELY going to go if I get in! He is really encouraging me to do it if I get in and not worry about people back home (including him...) forgetting about me. I never had to worry about those things when I went to college, because I live 45 minutes away from Boston, the biggest college city in the world. So, I ended up staying around here for school. This basically means that even when I went to college (and lived the for a year!) the experience was totally different than if I had gone to school in another city and had to learn how to "Fend for myself" more.

I've worked for my dad since I was 10 (!!!) and I still do. I've never had a real job anywhere else, either, and since I still live with my parents, my only bills have been my car and car insurance bills. This is my last semester at Mount Ida College, finishing my associates in Funeral Service, and next September I'm hoping to go to UMass or someplace to finish my bachelor's in nursing-one degree helps me take care of the living, and one degree helps me take care of the dead! The timing seems perfect for me to do something like this, and I'd rather not spend January-September in Massachusetts working and doing the things I normally do. This is a good opportunity to try something like this, and probably the only chance I'll ever have.

I really hope I get in, because not only will I get to live and work at my FAVORITE PLACE for four months, but I'll also learn a lot of the responsibilities I've never really had to deal with before. I've never had to pay rent or be on a real budget, and the job I have right now (waitressing!) pays SO GOOD. I seriously make like $500 in a weekend serving breakfast and lunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and dinner every other Friday. So, $500 CASH under the table, in 18-22 hours of work. And the only bills I have are about $370 a month for car and insurance. I'm going to pay my car and insurance DOUBLE from now until December so I don't have to worry about those bills while I'm in Florida if I get in, because I've heard paychecks are only $80 or so a week after rent is taken out. Even though I am sure it will be AWFUL to be on that tight of a budget working nearly double what I'm working now for less than 25% of what I make now, I think it will be worthwhile and a situation I NEED to experience so I can teach myself how to be more careful with money. Because, right now, I plow through my money like crazy and have NO savings, I just SPEND SPEND SPEND, and I need to learn how to be on a real BUDGET. That part of it might not be fun, but I am looking forward to the challenge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Stephanie's College Program Blog © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Design By: SkinCorner